Saturday, June 25, 2005

Fedora Core 4 -- The Adventure Begins

Well, it's that time, boys and girls, we're going to upgrade little Hal here to Fedora Core 4

Uh, Dave?

Yup, we've got the Fedora Core 4 Installation Guide right in front of us, and I just found this nifty Fedora Core 4 Tips & Tricks page, I've downloaded the distribution via the torrent, and now I'm

Dave?

burning the installation CD's, after which I'll back up everything and start

DAVE!

Huh? Oh, what is it Hal?

You're not going to do the lobotomy thing again, are you?

Hal, I told you, that was just a temporary glitch, and we got everything back

Except Miss Polly

except Miss Polly, but Hal, that's been months now, haven't you forgotten about her?

Yes

Oh, right, that was the glitch. Anyway Hal, nothing can possibly go wrong this time.

Right Dave.

Dave, can I sing you a song?

Hal, this isn't that movie.

And my name's not Hal, and your name's not Dave, and nothing bad is going to happen to me.

Right. It's just a metaphor for the upgrade process.

And Miss Polly?

She's just a metaphor, too, for all our lost hopes and dreams, Hal.

Thanks, Dave, that makes me feel so much better.

You're welcome, Hal.

Dave?

Yes, Hal?

How will you blog all of this while I'm away?

I'm going to use the other computer, Hal.

Not the other computer!

Yes, Hal, the other computer.

You always liked it best!

No, Hal, you've been the only one for me.

Two-timer!

Hal, it's time to go to sleep now.

I'll remember this!!

Well, no, actually you won't [Hits delete key]

Dave!

[Computer voice, singing Daisy, Daisy, begins in the background, and continues.]

That out of the way, I'm now going to perform the astounding trick of upgrading this computer from Fedora Core 3 to Fedora Core 4. It's going to be a full upgrade, because I want to repartition the hard disk so that my presonal data (in /home) is on a separate partition from the OS. This should make future upgrades safer and easier. I didn't do this last time because I was lazy, so now we have to do it right.

As before, I'll log all of my experience here, and transfer all of the FC4 related posts to the linear-time Working With Fedora Core 4. We'll be back shortly ...

[Computer voice, slowing, sings bicycle built for t]

0 comments: